Pastors Terri and Michael will begin distributing Communion by appointment to small groups at church on Tuesday mornings and Wednesday evenings, starting June 2. We will only offer reserved host (the Body of Christ in the form of wafers that were consecrated at the preceding Sunday’s service). At this time, the wine will not be distributed. We anticipate continuing to offer these small group opportunities even after in-person worship begins again for those unable to attend those services.
The following plan is adapted from the use of other Lutheran churches with the addition of comments by Laurie Sanders and Cathy Miller and accepted by the Continuity of Ministry Committee on May 26, 2020.
- Holy Communion will be available to all who ask but only at announced times. To avoid groups of more than 10, it will be necessary to make an appointment using SignUpGenius by clicking on the following link: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080f4cadae2ba2f58-communion. Those who cannot access the online format may call the office for Yvette to type them in.
- The distribution rite should take about 15 minutes, including prayers and pastoral-care check in. It will include some time for silent prayer in the sanctuary.
- Pastors will set blocks of time one of us is available and Joanne or a volunteer is available to clean between each group. Currently that is Tuesday mornings, 10am-12 noon, and Wednesday evenings, 5pm-7pm.
- PLEASE NOTE – For the week of July 5, 2020, times of distribution will be Tuesday morning at 10:00 and 10:30 and Wednesday evening at 5:00 and 5:30. For the rest of the month, Holy Communion distribution will only take place during Saturday and Sunday services.
- Each block includes several half-hour time-slots.
- Note 1: This is not a time to come socialize with pastors or others, nor for longer conversations of pastoral care.
- Note 2: Wearing face masks* is both a health protocol and a gesture of concern for others. The pastors will remain masked and, other than when receiving the sacrament, so should communicants. This is not optional.
*The masks do not keep your hands clean, so continue to wash your hands and pray the Lord’s Prayer regularly!
Procedures in Church Building
- Communicants wear masks from time they leave their car until they are about to receive the Sacrament. If they come without one, they can reschedule or use one that we provide and take it with them to wash and reuse.
- As they enter, they will use the hand sanitizer by the door.
- Communicants sign in and out at the check-in station. (There will be a cup for clean pens/pencils and a place to put them for later cleaning.)
- A box or basket for offerings is available (as are quilt packets, devotional materials, and the prayer book).
- The Nursery bathroom is available. (Because of FCCC’s use of the space, this is the only bathroom available during the week.)
Procedures in Sanctuary
- A disposable worship sheet will be available to pick up.
- Only the Eucharistic bread will be distributed. The Cup will NOT be distributed.
- Use the hand sanitizer provided near the font.
- Seating will be in metal chairs for ease of cleaning.
- Other than family groups, people will sit 6 feet or further apart. REMAIN MASKED DURING THE RITE.
- Pastors will bring the Body of Christ to communicants.
- Remove masks ONLY TO CONSUME THE BREAD and replace them immediately. [TIP: Hold the mask by its strap; do not place it on the seat.]
- Before leaving, use the hand sanitizer one more time, rubbing both hands together vigorously.
- As people leave a recycle bin is available, if people do not want to take the worship page with them, so that others do not touch the same ones.
Procedure between appointments
- Joanne or a volunteer will sanitize all surfaces between each appointment and reset for the next group.
- If someone is unable to come to church, the pastors will schedule a time to come to their porch/patio/front door for distribution.