Our Saviour Lutheran Church in Warrenton, Virginia is seeking a part-time ($25 per hour/10 hours/week) compensated Contemporary Music Director for its Saturday 5:30 p.m. service. The service is established and has been ongoing for over a decade. The style is upbeat folk/contemporary/ praise and currently consists of singers, guitar, keyboard, and other occasional instruments, providing an opportunity to worship in a more casual and contemporary style. If you possess the calling and would like to utilize your music ministry gifts, please consider applying. This is a year-round position with paid vacation time.
Responsibilities include conducting regular weekly rehearsals (currently Thursday nights); leading the congregation in singing and learning new songs; directing a praise group of volunteer singers and instrumentalists at Saturday evening worship services and occasional special events; participating with the pastors and worship team in song selection; and meeting with the pastors and worship team on a regular basis for program coordination. The Music Leader will know how to read notated music, perform their primary instrument at a high level, and demonstrate technical knowledge centered around how to play music in a live setting with multiple musicians. Playing the piano/keyboard is desirable but not a requirement.
- Competent music background (voice and/or instrumental) to direct singers and musicians who accompany services
- Experience playing with and/or directing a group(s) of singers and instrumentalists and planning music to support/enhance a liturgical-based “blended or contemporary” service is highly desirable
- Effective communication skills
- Ability to make changes in music compositions to match needs and talents of performers
- Incorporate other instruments in musical selections such as guitar, drums, etc.
Estimated weekly time requirements:
- Music selection for worship
- Conduct weekly rehearsals year-round
- Direct Voices of Praise in worship
All staff are required to submit to a criminal background check as a condition of employment.