Imagine going to school without paper or a couple of pencils. That’s a daily reality for children living in poverty or emergency situations all over the world.
You’re all familiar with LWR personal care kits (soap, towel, comb, etc.) that we collected last month. Those kits and school kits are the top 2 kits that LWR distributes throughout the world. This year, LWR is trying to make up for a shortfall of kits caused by the COVID-19 pandemic. In their words, “… we’d be delighted with any kits you’re able to provide us.”
During October, we will be collecting items for the school kits. The list of items is included below. Please bring your donations to the church by October 31 to be assembled into kits. To make a full kit, please provide all listed items, and only those listed, for each kit. (No additions or substitutions, please.)
LWR used to give a cost of shipping the kits for folks who want to donate to cover those costs. They no longer state the cost per item but are very grateful to receive these donations. Based on what can be found on the website, it looks like about $1.50 per kit for shipping. If you wish, you can make a donation to OSLC, marked for LWR Kit Shipping, and we’ll send it off to them.
INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING IN EACH SCHOOL KIT:
- FOUR 70-sheet notebooks of wide- or college-ruled paper, approx. 8″ x 10″; NO loose-leaf paper, NO larger sizes
- ONE 30-centimeter (12” approx.) ruler, or a ruler with centimeters on one side and inches on the other
- ONE pencil sharpener
- ONE pair of blunt-tip scissors (safety scissors with embedded steel blades work well)
- FIVE unsharpened #2 pencils with erasers; secured together with a rubber band
- FIVE black or blue ballpoint pens (NO gel ink); secured together with a rubber band
- ONE box of 16 or 24 crayons (NO large boxes, please)
- ONE 2½” eraser